Paleo Style Corn Bread

Paleo Style Corn Bread

When eating soups it’s always nice to accompany it with some sort of bread to dip in or soak up the last drops in the bowl, right?! We have a love of cornbread in this house especially in the cooler months when pairing it with soups and chili. I often cringe when I look at the ingredients on the back of the packages….usually HFCS, cornmeal that is possibly GMO, flour, sugar….I know I am such a buzz kill lol! 

So I went on a quest to find a cleaner version that I felt comfortable serving to my family and myself.
 


What’s in it?
In true paleo fashion, I substituted regular white flour for almond and coconut flour.  Added in coconut oil (good fats), eggs, almond milk and while true paleo eaters would use Ghee (clarified butter from the milk of a cow or buffalo, popular in Indian cooking) I stick with my Kerrygold Grass Fed butter (plus it’s what I had already!) That’s it. Almond flour and coconut flour are easy to find these days as they are becoming more popular to cook with as a healthier alternative to white flour.  Trader Joe’s sells them at a reasonable price I have even found them at Target (I know everyone has Target near them!)



Secret Shortcuts
Since this is more of a baking recipe my secret shortcuts are limited here. Basically, I had everything on hand already which is always nice.  There are a few pantry staples that I like to have on hand which include almond and coconut flour, honey, coconut oil, baking soda, cocoa powder, nut butter, chia/flax seeds, and old-fashioned oatmeal.  

These are usually my basic ingredients when baking as I don’t do it often so when I do I try to make it as healthy as I can and they turned out tasting just like cornbread with a touch of sweetness to them.  I didn’t even need to add butter! Warm them up first before eating as they taste delicious that way – I also froze some for later consumption! 



You can bake them in an 8×8 glass pan (lined with parchment paper) or make them into muffins or I use a mini meatloaf pan.  The possibilities are endless!
Enjoy!


Paleo Style Corn Bread

Ingredients
• ½ cup Almond Flour
• ¼ cup Coconut Flour
• ½ tsp Sea Salt
• ½ tsp Baking Soda
• 3 eggs
• 1 Tbsp butter (grass fed if possible) melted
• 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
• 2 Tbsp Honey
• ½ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk

Directions
1 Preheat the oven to 325F.
2 Grease an 8x8 baking pan (or cupcake pan) or line with parchment paper
3 Blend all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
4 Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and blend well. (a hand whisk works just fine)
5 Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes (do the toothpick test)
6 Let cool on a wire rack.
7 Slice and serve!

*adapted from www.ourpaleolife.com

Comments